World quantity seven Alexander Zverev has said he’s still not sure about travelling to New York amid the COVID-19 pandemic to play within the US Open. Women’s world primary Ash Barty and her fellow Australian Nick Kyrgios have said they had been skipping the hardcourt Grand Slam, which begins on Aug. 31 and shall be performed with out spectators in a bio-secure ‘bubble’.
Zverev, who reached his maiden Grand Slam semi-final on the Australian Open this year, advised the Tennis Majors web site he was undecided. “I will see because the situation right now in the U.S. is not that great so I don’t know what we will decide with my team,” the 23-year-old added.
“I want to play tournaments, but I think the U.S. right now is a little bit of a funny place.”
Zverev confronted criticism after a video appeared to present him dancing in a crowded membership on the finish of June, soon after he said he would self-isolate after playing in Novak Djokovic’s Adria Tour event, the place quite a few gamers examined optimistic for COVID-19.
“I think just see how it develops over the next few weeks, if the cases go up (in U.S.), how the travelling will be and if it will be safe,” Zverev said after defeating Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime in Sunday’s remaining to win the Ultimate Tennis Showdown exhibition in France.
“I might not to go there if I don’t feel safe, my team doesn’t feel safe. I’m still quite young but everybody that is involved with me maybe is a little bit older and they’re in more danger than I am.”
(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; enhancing by Peter Rutherford)