The Madrid Open that was scheduled to happen from September 12-20 has been cancelled due to the rise of Covid-19 circumstances within the Spanish capital, organisers said on Tuesday.
Initially scheduled to be performed in May earlier than the pandemic shut down sport, the event was to characteristic each males’s and ladies’s attracts and was seen as an important claycourt event for gamers to put together for the French Open which begins on Sept. 27.
Organisers said that they had created a ‘bubble’ to minimise the danger of spreading the novel coronavirus however over the weekend they had been suggested by native health authorities not to stage the event subsequent month. The event’s destiny was sealed when a directive was issued that said “social gatherings are to be reduced to 10 people”.
“As an act of responsibility in view of the current situation caused by COVID-19 and having thoroughly evaluated the circumstances that the pandemic continues to generate… it has been decided that (the) 2020 Mutua Madrid Open will not take place this year,” organisers said in a press release.
Spain, one of many worst-affected nations when the pandemic first hit Europe earlier this year, has recorded practically 315,000 confirmed circumstances and over 28,400 deaths thus far, in accordance to a Reuters tally.
Both the ATP and WTA Tours launched a joint assertion saying the choice was taken in step with native authorities due to “health and safety concerns” and so they had been reassessing the calendar for the remainder of the year.
“We would like to recognise the efforts of the tournament organisers who have gone to great lengths in exploring all features to run this year’s tournament, despite the many challenges presented by COVID-19,” they said in a press release. “Both tours are assessing updates to the 2020 provisional calendars in regards to events following the U.S. Open, and an update will be published in due course.”
The US Open is scheduled to be performed from August 31 to September 13.